TOTAL HEALTH TRANSFORMATION SYSTEM
What’s Around You?
Change your environment, change your body.
What’s around us shapes us.
We make literally hundreds of food decisions every day.
Coffee or tea? Peanut butter or jam? Should I start or finish this taco?
We’re not aware that we’re making most of those decisions. We often can’t explain them. We’re not consciously choosing.
We just… make them. We sort of “find ourselves” somewhere, or doing something.
We just float along, like leaves down a river, with the people around us. The situation. Our choices. Familiar routines.
This isn’t wrong. It’s life.
It also means that, especially when the river is smooth and comfortable, it’s easy to lose sight of just how much the environment is shaping our actions.
Make your environment work for you.
The good news? If you take control of shifting your environment, you can make it nudge your automatic behaviors towards ones that support your goals.
Notice and name your cues.
Don’t worry about changing your whole routine and environment at first.
First, notice and name what elements of your environment are helping you or hindering you.
- Your schedule?
- Your route to work or school?
- The people around you?
- Food advertisements?
- The lunch room or communal candy jar at work?
- Your morning, lunchtime, or evening rituals?
- What’s in your cupboards or fridge?
- What’s near you? (e.g., gyms, grocery stores, walking trails, etc.)
- Social media?
Look around. Observe. Pay attention.
Stay aware of what you’re seeing, doing, and experiencing.
See what factors affect your behavior.
Start to notice patterns and connections.
- Do you have people, systems, routines, and/or things around you that support your goals and the changes you want to make?
- What could make your environment just a little bit better?
- What kind of environment do you need in order to be your healthiest, leanest, fittest self?